Thursday 12 November 2009

Tahitian* Banana Cake

Number 1 son is celebrating a birthday. Again, I was open to the idea of making a fancy cake but Number 1 requested...banana cake. Who knew it was his favourite?

It is all about the taste rather than the aesthetics with this boy.

Banana cake done badly can turn you off; when done correctly it is all you could ever desire in a cake (according to Number 1). It is light, it is fragrant and it is delicious.

So, here is my Tahitian* Banana Cake recipe. It is really simple to make.

1 cup caster sugar
2 tbsp softened butter
4 tbsp milk
Dash of vanilla extract (or half a vanilla bean)
3 eggs separated
4 or 5 very ripe mashed bananas (makes 1 Cup approx)
1 cup of self-raising flour
1 tbsp bicarbonate soda

In a mixer, beat the butter and sugar until combined. Add milk and mix well. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. It should be a light smooth mixture. Add vanilla and mashed bananas. Mix well.

The trusty Kitchen Aid doing its thing

Sift flour and bicarbonate soda and gently mix into the batter. Whip egg whites until firm peaks form.



Whisk egg whites

Gently fold into the cake mix until barely combined.

Fold in egg whites

Pour mixture into 20cm greased cake tin and place into a pre-heated moderate (180 Celsius) oven. Bake for approx 40 -45 minutes or until firm to touch.


We like to eat this cake un-iced. To decorate, perhaps a dusting of icing sugar would suffice. For Number 1 son eight candles should do it.

p.s. I was also asked if I could make a batch of profiteroles for his class. I've been up way too long for my liking!

* The only thing Tahitian about this recipe from what I can gather is that my Tahitian aunt, who lives in Aix en Provence, France, was the one who passed on this recipe...and to her, we are forever thankful!

The finished product

6 comments:

  1. Believe it or not Anita, I think even I could have a go at this one...just have to hide all the bananas before they get eaten! I think I am going to be very popular when this comes out of the oven, thanks:o)
    Angex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your first born! What a wonderful mother you are whipping up these special treats for your children.
    Thanks for sharing this great recipe.
    Best wishes, Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Tahitian aunt who lived in Aix. Very glam. I love that you have a Kitchen Aid. I don't have any large appliances I have a prejudice against them. We don't even have a microwave!!!! I must try that my children love ba-na-nas. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to him! This is a great cake idea. I am a very very beginner cook and I need a good and easy cake recipe as both of my little ones will celebrate their birthday soon... Thnaks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Love to read your comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails