Thursday 27 May 2010

Painting a Pine Bookshelf


image from here
Painted bookshelf

Wow. Thanks so much for your advice about how I should paint my pine bookshelves. I definitely feel better about it after getting first hand advice. When I googled this, I read all sorts of conflicting information. Too confusing for moi.

I've already made a start on one of the bookshelves by removing the decorative moulding with a hammer and chisel. I asked Jason to cut some plain flat timber to replace the gaps.

This morning, armed with a roll of 80 grit sand paper I gave it a light sand all over; just enough to give the timber surface some tooth for when the primer is applied.

A good quality water based primer was suggested, so I shall see what the Oracle (a.k.a Bunnings hardware - Thanks Edwina. It's got a better ring to it) will have in store. Apparently, I can use gesso, Zinsser or Resene.

I will also pick up an acrylic white and a choose a colour for the interior. I'm still partial to teal blue or perhaps even black...

But Michelle from Paper Tree Designs suggested I could wallpaper the interior. Now that would look great with funky Florence Broadhurst paper like these:


Japanese Floral

Yvans geometric
above images courtesy of Signature Prints

However, I am getting ahead of myself already, since what I have to work with currently looks like this:

Pine bookshelf

15 comments:

  1. Way to go!! Sounds like you are getting on with it. Have you thought about vintage retro wallpaper? I have sourced it on Ebay before and in some Op Shops -if you are lucky.
    Good luck :)
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the wallpaper idea too but it does seem like it could be a bit fiddly to apply behind the shelves, cheers Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the wallpaper would look great, but aren't you a bit worried about trashing it by putting books and things against it? Wallpaper is expensive... I'd be too scared to use them after covering the back in wallpaper I think. There's my two cents worth for the day anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like wallpaper inside shelves and cabinets, can't wait to see how it turns out..Rachaelxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the wallpaper would look excellent! You could just cover the back board of the bookshelf with wall paper and do the inner sides with paint in the same shade. It would be less fiddly if the whole back board came off in one piece though! Hope that made sense. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I put fabric at the back of a bookshelf that had vertical boards like these...much easier than wallpaper. I just covered large pieces of sturdy cardboard packaging with the fabric and wedged it in between the shelves so if I get sick of it I can change the fabric. It's posted somewhere on my blog but if you want to see a pic easily, drop me an email and I'll send you one. I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a chest of drawers, 2 bedside cabinets and 2 bookcases in the queue to be painted just like this. They've been in the queue for a long time. It would be foolish and hasty of me to start now till you've finished yours, so that I can learn from you. O welcome reprieve. Please post every minor detail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I was actually going to suggest you could try fabric also just as Kerry did. Another more inexpensive way to get the luxery wallpaper look on the back of the shelves is to try some nice thick wrapping paper .... the more expensive kind you can buy from homeware stores. I would definitely still put it on cardboard or MDF tho' and just even bluetack it to the back of the shelf so you can change it when you get baord. Looking great so far - good luck! Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of the wallpaper. I think you can get something to paint over it to seal it? But don't quote me, crafty I am not!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I got a good tip from this post...lie the bookcase down on the floor to paint. I am vertically challenged at 5ft 2in so this will be much easier when I get around to painting my bookcase. Thanks Anita.
    Angex

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you've sanded it - you don't need a primer, just the plain white acrylic. If you think the wood tannin will show through you can paint a darker colour under the white to hide it. Primers are too expensive ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. sounds like a cool plan! signature prints have had an online sale lately, i was coveting the gold crane paper!

    look forward to seeing more pics! jxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. great start. armed with confidence and optimism makes it seem easier
    ~laura

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore the idea of the Florence Broadhurst wallpaper. Inspired! Can't wait to see the end result. I've also got to paint a pine buffet/hutch which is looking decidedly 1980's. Great advice on how to tackle it - thanks!

    Thanks also for all your lovely, encouraging comments over the last few months...I've just returned from the hospital after Bugsy's operation and treating myself to some long overdue bloggy time. I'll eventually catch up I suppose! I'm hoping we've turned the corner in all things health-related, and life as we know it will return to normal. I appreciate your thoughtfulness, more than you know:) Meredy xo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your blog makeover win Anita. Can't wait to see what katrina comes up with
    Alison

    ReplyDelete

Love to read your comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails