Monday 3 May 2010

Smiths Wall Clock

I'm beginning to feel a vintage clock fetish setting in.

This is a new but old addition for the kitchen.

Gold anodised Smiths wall clock. I would have preferred chrome but the gold is growing on me.

Smiths started as a family business making clocks and watches in 1850s England. In the 1930s they were  mass producing clocks by the many thousands per week. They ceased making clocks for the domestic market in the late 70s.

I like it because it reminds me of an airport clock. I can pretend to catch the 8.40 am Brisbane to Canberra flight while I'm making the school lunches.

Actually, I like it because it is a good way to teach the two younger boys how to read the time and it suits the mid-century vibe I love so much.

9 comments:

  1. You are developing a 'thing' for clocks, aren't you? What's not to love?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely (and better not in chrome, say I). How about a display of about 6 of these, all different and showing a slightly different time in their vintage way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No one's likely to be missing any fab trips at your place anytime soon. You'll always be on time!! Great clock. They remind me of the government ones here - oh to watch the clock as much as they do ;-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great clock Anita. I'm constantly on the lookout for an old industrial number myself - railway station-ish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another fab find! It looks amazing, I love the gold color

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a stunning clock!! That's so my style! I'll take one for every room please ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. At the risk of making a horrible pun, love the clock because the style is timeless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great clock and I can see how it works well with your other beautiful objects from your favourite era!

    Actually we were at the Wooloongabba Antique centre on the long weekend and they had some clocks there that reminded me of you the minute I saw them! If you haven't been there for a while you should have a look.

    Hope you have all been well...I am off to watch my daughter debate now...oh joy...

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have issues with time, but not clocks. i just bought a pink floyd clock - dark side of the moon, but apparently my daughter might scoop it for her apartment.
    on the lookout again!
    thats a cool one
    ~laura

    ReplyDelete

Love to read your comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails