Friday 18 July 2014

The spare Danish dining chair

It didn't take long for me to find that DQF (Danish Quality Furniture) dining chair  I was so desperately after... An Instagram acquaintance kindly put me on to someone who had a spare blackbean DQF dining chair for sale. Again, the power of social media is strong!

The very sad looking DQF chair after I bought it a few weeks ago

The chair was in a pretty average state and needed re-upholstering...It was a bit beyond us really so we outsourced it to Collette at Rewind Mid-century who looked after it for us.

The only problem we encountered was sourcing the black vinyl to match the existing 1960s black vinyl on the other chairs. Not all vinyl is equal. Sadly, shiny smooth vinyl is not made anymore. Most upholstery vinyl has a grain or texture through it.

I went to a few car upholstery places to see if I could find something to match but had no luck at all.

Luckily, my architect friend Robyn Booth was able to source a commercial vinyl (used in hospitals etc) for us that had the smooth texture to match the other chairs. It is not as shiny compared to the other chairs but it really is as perfect as we could get to the original. You wouldn't really notice the difference unless you were looking for fault.

The chair at the front is the newly reupholstered chair

The chair on the right is the new chair
I picked up the chair a few days ago from Rewind Mid-Century who repaired the chair base and had it reupholstered in the smooth black vinyl. We are really happy with it!

It's great to finally have the sixth chair for the dining room setting. Who's coming over for dinner?

22 comments:

  1. A nice transformation and such a great story! Lovely to see your setting complete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We're so happy to have the complete set now. xx

      Delete
  2. My Mum and Dad had those in "off white" deer hide. Mum always insisted it was leather but that was just the name of the vinyl. The table is still doing the family gatherings although the chairs all finally fell apart. We kept one under our house that I was going to fix till I saw a seven year old running around the yard using one of the chair legs as a pretend(/) weapon. The coffee table and sideboard are still at Mum's too....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way! You seem to have a treasure trove of things in your family. Glad to hear the table is still used. It's lovely furniture and I have always admired it. Shame about that chair - maybe it can still be salvaged...?? xx

      Delete
  3. Looks good! I wonder what happened to the original? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Not sure what happened to it... the chairs are notorious for coming apart so maybe it was thrown out...

      Delete
  4. That really is a great job. I wouldn't know there was any difference unless you pointed it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very happy with it too. The match is next to perfect. xx

      Delete
  5. ME!!!!!

    What time would you like me there? Can I bring something sweet to finish off dinner? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! tonight I'm making risotto. Forget dessert just bring a crisp white! lol xx

      Delete
  6. Be careful for what you wish for, Dorothy. We may all turn up on your doorstep :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It would fab to meet some of you though...after all these years. xx

      Delete
  7. Great job on the chair and the sourcing of the new vinyl, it looks great with your others! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. We were lucky that Robyn could get that vinyl for us. xx

      Delete
  8. The chair looks great. I think we always notice the little details in our homes far more than anyone else does. Like you said, if anyone can see a difference in those chairs, they're scrutinizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I'm always pointing out the faults while people are admiring - such a bad habit which I will rectify. xx

      Delete
  9. What a great find and a fab restoration. I love seeing quality design pieces being 'rescued' and brought back together.
    Cheers, Col

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous job Rewind has done. I can't tell the difference. I have a swathe of chairs which need re-upholstery and strengthening and was worried about whom to trust. I think I can trust Rewind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Collette is great! Happy for lovely people like her to do so well. xx

      Delete

Love to read your comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails